Werken bij de politie met Nederlands als tweede taal.....

Auteur Topic: Werken bij de politie met Nederlands als tweede taal.....  (gelezen 4570 keer)

0 gebruikers (en 1 gast bekijken dit topic.

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 11:11:05
Is er iemand hier die met de politie werkt met het Nederlands als tweede taal?

Ik kom uit Nieuw-Zeeland en hebben hier nu wonen voor een paar jaar en willen werken als VP. Ik zou graag uw ervaringen en problemen kennen bij het selectieproces.

Gast

• Gast
Reactie #1 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 11:43:04
Hello Steve!
Welcome to the forum. I'm not working with the police so I can't tell you in which degree this language issue might be a problem.
I can however tell you about where I work, at Air Traffic Control on the Schiphol airport.
Even though (aviation) English is the main language for our job, Dutch is being spoken in all situations where English is not required or not enough to clear matters (f.i. with emergencies)
We have quite a lot foreign controllers working at ATC, from Denmark, Germany, South Africa and Spain. They have all been sent to "De Nonnetjes in Vught" which is a language institute (click here) that works on teaching the Dutch language as fast as possible, as coherent as possible, as understandable as possible.
For the German guys it was easier to pick up on Dutch than for the South African couple but from -no Dutch at all- to -sufficient to converse with- in a matter of a couple weeks.

I can only imagine that, to work as a police officer it is recommended to speak Dutch fluently. For exact details I would advise to contact the appropriate contactpersons at the hiring department of the police.
I wish you good luck!

Nick

• Senior gebruiker
Reactie #2 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 12:58:25
Is er iemand hier die met de politie werkt met het Nederlands als tweede taal?

Ik kom uit Nieuw-Zeeland en hebben hier nu wonen voor een paar jaar en willen werken als VP. Ik zou graag uw ervaringen en problemen kennen bij het selectieproces.

Hoe streng het een en ander is durf ik niet te zeggen. Wel is het zo dat de niveaus 2/3/4 een taaltoets kennen als onderdeel van de selectie. Dit is dus ook het geval bij de vrijwillige politie. Onderdelen zijn bijvoorbeeld het aanvullen van zinnen/woorden, lezen en een schrijfopdracht.

Voor zover ik weet is het overigens ook zo dat je de Nederlandse nationaliteit dient te bezitten (correct me if I'm wrong!).
Senior GGP / Oost-Brabant

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Reactie #3 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 13:07:31
Thanks Caprice.  

I had looked at the Nuns in Vught previously....but ladies dont come cheap.... somewhere in the region of 3200 euro per week ( the programs are based on 2 x 1 week sessions!! ??? ???) OK if the employer is paying...something i can't for second see Politie Zeeland - West-Brabant doing.......

I appreciate the level needs to be fairly high to withstand studing law and writing a process verbal that is worth a damn.
The politie website only says "Beheersing van de Nederlandse taal" - a bit broad. I emailed them and they only came back with "you need B level"  again too broad to be helpful.  that’s like saying your fitness needs to be "active" ??? active like Olympic Athletes or "i walk the dog every day" a bit of a difference......
I want a better indication as I just don’t want to get into the selection process and then fail the Language test and be forced to wait a year ( or however long the stand-down period is) before I can reapply.  I've booked myself in for a "voorlichting Vrijwilligers" in Eindhoven next month so i will ask if they can give a better measurement, perhaps a practice test....

I thought it would also be good to hear from anyone with firsthand experience

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Reactie #4 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 13:11:47
Hoe streng het een en ander is durf ik niet te zeggen. Wel is het zo dat de niveaus 2/3/4 een taaltoets kennen als onderdeel van de selectie. Dit is dus ook het geval bij de vrijwillige politie. Onderdelen zijn bijvoorbeeld het aanvullen van zinnen/woorden, lezen en een schrijfopdracht.

Voor zover ik weet is het overigens ook zo dat je de Nederlandse nationaliteit dient te bezitten (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Bedankt Nick, de Nederlandse nationaliteit is vereist, maar dat is geen probleem.

Q88

• Motorrijder
  • Forum gebruiker
Reactie #5 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 20:34:49
Maybe we can trade? I get your English skills and you get my Dutch skills.
Would love to be a cop in such a beautiful country as NZ. :D

But to give you a serious answer:
I don't know about volunteers but if you pass all the application-tests for a full-time job it is possible to get additional Dutch classes.
These extra classes are not from the Police academy but from a private school.
I also don't know if this is arranged in the whole country but it was possible a few years ago in the region where I work, "Haaglanden".
One of my classmates had additional Dutch classes because of his spelling and grammar.

By the way, compliments for your dutch. I don't know how long you have been living here but your Dutch writing isn't bad.

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Reactie #6 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 21:22:10
Maybe we can trade? I get your English skills and you get my Dutch skills.
Would love to be a cop in such a beautiful country as NZ. :D

I'm with you on that one...just have to convince the Dutch wife  ;) . The police in NZ get a much better deal than what you guys do hear... 30,000 euro starting salary, 4 days on-4 days off, and 6 days on 6 days off shift patterns   8)  I spoke to a Police inspector from England; he was flown over by the NZ police to be recruited.  he was willing to take demotion to a basic constable/ agent to get he chance to move there....  But here I am in Breda!

It is encouraging to hear that if i prove myself to be worthwhile i it might be possible to get a helping hand with the language - I guess that's going to come from the Region rather than anything they might say at the voorlichting next month at the Eindhoven Academy??

Nick

• Senior gebruiker
Reactie #7 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 21:53:05
Ik reageer lekker in het Nederlands, dan kun je vast oefenen!  >:D
Stuur mij eventueel even een privébericht met je mailadres, dan mail ik je een pdf met info over de taaltoets van de Politieacademie. Via de mail omdat ik niet weet of de academie dit op internet wil hebben, de brochure wordt wel naar alle selectiekandidaten gestuurd.
Senior GGP / Oost-Brabant

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Reactie #8 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 22:05:48
Ik reageer lekker in het Nederlands, dan kun je vast oefenen!  >:D
Stuur mij eventueel even een privébericht met je mailadres, dan mail ik je een pdf met info over de taaltoets van de Politieacademie. Via de mail omdat ik niet weet of de academie dit op internet wil hebben, de brochure wordt wel naar alle selectiekandidaten gestuurd.

Bedankt Nick, je hebt gelijk. O0

Ik heb zojuist een privébericht gestuurd..

Steve the Kiwi

• Junior gebruiker
Reactie #9 Gepost op: 19 februari 2013, 22:49:36
Nick
nogmaals bedankt.  De format is helemaal hetzelfde as de inburgeringscursus toets.   ::)  (oh het plezier! niet een jaar zou ik graag nog een keer doen.....)   Het lijkt me alleen een klein stuk moeilijker maar wel te doen.